In a previous post, i explained how to make fermented kumquats. This recipe is a perfect application of this. I did not come up with this recipe myself. All credit for that comes to Brad Leone of Bon Appetit. Click on this link to watch his youtube video where he teaches you in detail how to ferment citrus fruits and where this recipe also comes in. I gave it my own touch by seasoning the squid with ras el hanout.
Squid with fermented kumquat
: 10 min
: 25 min
- 250 grams of squid
- 1/2 teaspoon of ras el hanout
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 2-3 fermented kumquats (or ordinary if you don't feel like doing this additional step)
- Handful of parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- Black pepper
- Step 1 Preheat the BBQ or grill pan until it is red-hot. Wash the squid and season with pepper, salt and ras el hanout.
- Step 2 Grill the squid briefly. Quick and hot is the message here! If you grill too long you risk that the squid gets a rubbery texture.
- Step 3 Chop the kumquat and shallot and add it to a bowl together with the olive oil. Grate the garlic and add it to the human and mix together. Also add some lemon juice (optional).
- Step 4 Cut the squid into rounds, add to the bowl and mix together.
- Step 5 Wash the parsley and cut into chunks. Add to the bowl, mix and finish with salt and pepper to taste.