Summer rolls with spicy dipping sauce
Summer rolls are one of the most popular dishes of Vietnamese cuisine and exist in endless varieties. This version is a vegetarian variety but do not hesitate to experiment with other fillings. For example, add finely chopped shrimps if a vegetarian version does not appeal to you. Rice noodles are often added, but in these smaller summer rolls I prefer to omit these. You can also make endless combinations by using other dipping sauces and herbs. The dipping sauce in this recipe is rather spicy and has a strong flavor. For me this works perfectly with the more or less neutral taste of the summer rolls. Not a fan of spicy food? Omit the chilli peppers or deseed them for a milder taste. The coriander and mint can also be easily replaced by other green herbs such as parsley, basil and/or chives. When rolling the summer rolls it is important to roll them as tight as possible to ensure that the stuffing does not fall out when dipping them in the sauce.
- For the dip sauce:
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1,5 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander
- For the summer rolls:
- 1 small avocado (70g)
- 1 small carrot (50g)
- 1/2 red paprika (70g)
- 1/4 cucumber (70g)
- 20 mint leaves
- Handfull of coriander (same amount as mint)
- 6 sheets of rice paper (16 cm diameter)
- Baby red beet leaves or any other variety of leafy greens
- Step 1
Grate the lime with a micrograter.
- Step 2 Juice the lime and add together with the zests and the sugar to a bowl and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Step 3 Add the soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Step 4 Grate the garlic and ginger or finely chop and add to the sauce.
- Step 5 Finish with finely chopped chili pepper and coriander and mix well.
- Step 6 Cut the paprika, cucumer and avocado in small cubes of approximately 1/2 cm.
- Step 7 Peel the carrots and finely chop.
- Step 8 Finely chop the mint and coriander.
- Step 9 Mix the vegetables and herbs together with 1 tablespoon of the dipping sauce in a bowl.
- Step 10 Soak a sheet of rice paper in warm water for approximately 20-30 seconds or until pliable. Do not soak longer than necessary to prevent tearings.
- Step 11 Pat the rice paper dry on a kitchen towel and lay flat on a cutting board.
- Step 12 Add a small layer of the leafy greens to the upper part of the rice paper and add apprimately 2 tablespoons of the vegetable mix. Do not add too much so that the summer rolls can be easily folded. Leave enough space on the sides.
- Step 13 Roll the rice paper inwards, starting from the part where the stuffing is, until you reach the middle. Press the stuffing tightly together.
- Step 14 Fold the sides inwards and continue rolling.
- Step 15 Repeat for the other summer rolls.